Website cloning means just duplicating or modifying an existing website design or script to create a new website.There are many ways to clone a website script. The easiest and popular way is using HTTrack, which offers cloning through both command line and GUI interface. The main reason behind the popularity of httrack is its user-friendly UI and support to multiple platforms such as Windows, Linux, macOS, and Android. The basic version of command line tool is called as httrack and the GUI version is available for Linux called as webhttrack. Below given how to clone website script using both methods in Ubuntu linux.
Httrack can be installed using a simple terminal command from the standard repositories. So open the terminal window (ctrl+alt+t) and type the following command:
Sudo apt get install httrack webhttrack
Type your sudo password when prompted and accept the installation. And that’s all done! You can start cloning a web script.
- Method 1: Using Command Line
Cloning using the command line is much simpler. Only one command need to remember which makes a copy of the website in time depending upon how large your site is. The syntax of the command is as follows:
httrack http://SITE_URL -O LOCALDIRECTORY
Here SITE_URL is the actual URL of the site that to be copied and the LOCALDIRECTORY is the directory on your local disk (Secondary storage media) where the website is stored.
- Method 2: Using GUI
Although the command line tool is simple to use, GUI is more user-friendly and attractive for beginners. There are 5 steps to clone a website using GUI.
- Step 1: To start GUI, open terminal window and enter ->webhttack which opens a GUI browser window. On the first window, select your language and click Next->>. In the new window, enter new project name ->> and select the predefined categories. Type in the base path and click next->>.
- Step 2: In the next window, select the Action to use and enter the URL of the target site in the address box.
- Step 3: For advanced options. Click on the set options button and configure options like proxy, limits, browser and more.
- Step 4: If the cloning fails, reconfigure the options and perform adjustmentsas you need clone perfectly. Then click OK and click Next->> and then click Start->> to start cloning.
- Step 5:Download will take time depending upon the size of the website.
Web clone scriptsare simply the website scripts which mimics the functionalities existing popular websites or in terms of features, internal structure, design, UI, everything. Some of the top clone scriptsavailableare:
- Facebook Clone Script: This is a readymade social networking platform script from coderobotics. It provides Facebook’s important features like Live chat, messaging, reports and profile management.
- Amazon Store Script: This script is highly customizable and supports multiple categories based on developer’s interest and skill set.
- Uber clone script: This is a robust and highly scalable script with advanced features like client,admin and service provider. It is app driven geo-localized taxi booking script.
- Udacity clone script: This script is for those who want to create online and open-ended learning platform which exposes the new fields of teaching and learning dynamically.
- Redbus clone script: This is PHP based online bus booking script which is available for different types of users such as user, agent, admin or professional.
There are many other popular clone scripts are available for every area such as Airbnb, Kickstarter, big basket, Google search, twitter clone, YouTube clone, etc.